Few materials bring as much warmth and comfort to modern design as natural wood. Apart from looking spectacular, solid wood has various characteristics that turn it into a great interior design material – it is durable, energy-efficient, and sustainable. Wood offers a lot of versatility when it comes to the execution of different elements meant to match various interior design styles.
If you’re looking for ways to incorporate this natural material into your home’s decor, you can benefit from an array of ideas. They range from classic to unconventional, allowing you to enrich the execution with your personality.
The Benefits of Wood Decor Elements
Wood has various properties that deliver an excellent range of uses in construction and architecture. Some of the main benefits provided by wooden elements include:
- A warmer, more welcoming ambiance: Natural wood comes in many hues and varieties. No matter what type of wood you choose, it will immediately create a warmer, cozier environment. Wood also invites natural light into the space or, if you choose a darker variety, you can expect a truly sophisticated outcome.
- Uniqueness: You’ll get to choose from thousands of tree species meant to enrich the interior of a home. Each one has its distinctive color, texture, and pattern. If you want an original and impossible-to-replicate interior design, natural wood is an excellent choice.
- Ideal for every single room: Just think about it – every part of the house, from the kitchen to the bedroom, can benefit from the addition of wooden elements. That’s just how versatile this material is.
- Durability and low maintenance: There’s a reason why so many kinds of furniture are made from natural wood – it’s an outstandingly durable material. On top of that, when treated properly, wood is a low-maintenance construction and interior design material. It doesn’t retain dust and some types of wood even have antibacterial properties. The addition of a coat of varnish makes wood water-resistant, meaning you’ll just need to wipe the surface clean every once in a while. That’s it!
- Sustainability: Anyone looking for environmentally-friendly choices is going to enjoy hardwood. Various species have been known for their almost non-existent impact on the environment. Some of the greenest choices include mahogany, black cherry, oak, maple, aspen, elm, and willow.
Ways to Incorporate Wood Elements in Your Interior Design
Various designs and home decor executions can benefit from the addition of wood. It’s a popular choice for a rustic execution and can work equally well in an industrial-inspired, boho, or art deco home.
If you need a bit of inspiration to make wood the star of the show, here are a few ideas to choose from.
Look for Unique Accent Furniture Pieces
A solid wooden table, some comfortable chairs, a bookcase or two – you have so many choices when it comes to furniture. To make sure your accent pieces steal the show, consider staying away from mass-manufactured items.
A local carpenter can create beautiful wooden pieces customized for your home. You’ll get the added benefit of coming up with a personalized project brief to match the specifics of each room in your home.
Vintage pieces will also be a lovely addition to your space. They carry a lot of originality you will never find in mass-manufactured furniture.
Invest in Classical Elegance – Buy Wooden Floors
Hardwood floors are always an excellent idea. Wooden floors add glamor and elegance to a space. And again – you have choices. The colors can range from very light and honey-toned to almost black. Choosing the right kind of wood will set the mood and give you an exceptional statement piece.
And if you’re seeking a budget-friendly choice, you can always pick a sustainable and affordable option such as bamboo.
Pair Wood and Other Natural Elements for Easy-Going, Vacation-Inspired Homes
To create the ultimate retreat space, choose wood in the company of other natural materials. Some of the best choices include rattan, wicker, natural stone, seagrass, and iron. For an authentic nautical theme, go with materials like driftwood. It may sound a bit unconventional, but the wow effect is a certainty.
A few finishing touches executed in rope and the right color scheme will tie the entire concept together.
Combine Wood with Metals
There’s one more great pairing really worth exploring. Wood and metal can give you an outstandingly elegant presentation because of the radical contrast between the two.
Wood is warm and textured. Metal is sleek, cold, and perfectly smooth. Wood and aluminum work really well together. The combination is a match made in furniture heaven and has been embraced by numerous renowned furniture designers. Wood and stainless steel, as well as wood and cast iron are other classic combos worth checking out.
Choose Custom Cabinetry
Once again, do prioritize custom executions. They will give you the most storage space and perfectly match the specifics of each room.
People who dislike the bulkiness of cabinets can opt for open wooden shelves. Since they reveal the elements stored on top, simple shelves can be an inspired choice for display purposes.
Reclaim and Repurpose Wood
Old wooden crates and even pieces of furniture can be repurposed and reclaimed.
Don’t be afraid to take an old item you like and give it a second life. A little bit of varnish or white paint can do miracles. You’ll have a massive transformation that’s going to deliver modern vibes paired with classic authenticity.
Also, this is an environmentally-friendly choice that reduces your home’s carbon footprint.
From wooden furniture to frames and pieces of art, wood can deliver the home ambiance you’ve always been dreaming of.
It’s up to you to decide whether you’re going to use wood elements as accent pieces or if they’ll dominate the interior design. Both approaches can work well, especially if you start with a clear concept.
Don’t be afraid to do some research and take your time before getting started with the actual execution. A little time spent on the preliminary phases will result in much faster project completion.